Q: If we have to perform our Eid Salaat at home this year, how must it be done?
A: The same conditions that apply for Jumuah Salaat apply to Eid Salaat. There has to be at least 4 men (including Imaam) and there must be Ithne aam (general consent for participation, i.e. nobody should be restricted from joining this Jamaat). The difference between Jumuah and Eid is that the Khutbah is recited after the Salaat for Eid Salaat. The Eid Khutbah also includes extra Takbeers. [We make dua that Allah Ta`ala allows for the opening of Musaajid and Eid-Ghahs before the day of Eid.]
Below are some basic masaa’il regarding Eid Salaat:
1. The method of offering Eid Salaat is as follows: The following intention should be made: “I intend offering two Rakaats wajib of Eid ul-Fitr Salaat with six wajib takbeers.” After making this intention, he should commence his Salaat. He must recite the thanaa’ and then say Allahu Akbar three times. Each time that he says Allahu Akbar, he should raise his hands to his ears just as he does for the takbeer-e-tahreemah. After making the takbeer, he should let his hands rest at his sides. In-between each takbeer, he should pause to such an extent that he can read Sub’haanallah three times. After the third takbeer, he should not rest his hands but tie them. He should then read the ta’awwudh and bismillah, Surah Faatihah and another Surah. Thereafter, he should make his ruku and sajdahs and stand up as he normally does. In the second rakaat, he should first recite Surah Faatihah and another Surah. Thereafter, he should make three takbeers but after the third takbeer he should not tie his hands but leave them at his sides. He should then make one more takbeer and go into ruku.
2. After the Salaat, the imam has to stand on the mimbar and deliver two khutbahs. He should sit down in-between the two khutbahs to the extent that he sits between the khutbahs of jumu’ah.
3. Dua should be made after the Eid Salaat, and not after the Khutbah.
4. The khutbahs of Eid should commence with the takbeers. The takbeer should be said nine times in the first khutbah and seven times in the second khutbah.
5. There is no adhaan or iqaamah for both Eid ul-Fitr and Eid ul-Ad’haa.
6. It is Makrooh to offer any other Salaat (after sunrise) on Eid day before the Eid Salaat. However, it is not Makrooh to offer any Salaat after the Eid Salaat at home.
7. Eid Salaat cannot be performed alone. This is because Jamaat is a prerequisite for the Eid Salaats. If a person cannot perform Eid Salaat in Jamaat, then there is NO substitute.
8. If the imam forgets to say the takbeers and only remembers this while in ruku, he should say the takbeers in his ruku and should not return to the standing posture. But if he returns to the standing posture, it will still be permissible, i.e. the Salaat will not become invalid. Sajdah-e-Sahw should then be made. Under normal circumstances where there are many congregants for the Jamaat in Jumuah and Eid Salaats, Sajdah-e-Sahw will not be made if there is an error because of the huge number of people (there may be many people who will get confused if they don’t know the masaa’il). However, if there are not many people, as would be if performed at a home, then Sajdah-e-Sahw should be made.